Probation and Violations

Probation and Violations

Probation, which is the release of an offender from detention and subject to a period of good behavior under supervision. In addition, the person can rejoin the community. There are many violations that may revoke probation.

While it seems like an easy out from serving a sentence in jail, it is not. If violated (a crime in itself), probation can be fully revoked since judges have many options and a lot of discretion when hearing new evidence. Furthermore, a revoked sentence does not automatically mean you will go to jail and a judge can give a simple warning, add time to the probation, impose fines or require counseling, but It is important to seriously consider the number of days of your sentence because if your probation is revoked and you are sent to jail, the sentence will be reactivated. Most noteworthy, if there are new charges from the violation, the sentence may be increased.

Common Probation Violations: NOT:

  • Completing community service or drug, alcohol, parenting or other court-ordered counseling or
  • Paying fines, or not repaying the victim of the crime (called restitution), on time and in full, as ordered by the court or
  • Showing up in court for scheduled hearings or
  • Reporting to your probation officer or
  • Getting and keeping a job or
  • Visiting someone or someplace - such as a boyfriend or girlfriend, or their homes - for a certain period of time or
  • Staying in the area the judge may have confined you to - such as your city or town

Or if you:

  • Are arrested for another crime
  • Use or sell illegal substances

What is Hearsay?

Hearsay: The report of another person's words by a witness, are usually disallowed as evidence in a court of law. First, the court may look at a variety of different factors when determining if hearsay evidence is reliable and furthermore admissible in court. If the hearsay evidence is admissible, it may ultimately violate your probation. Furthermore, it should be known that your probation cannot be violated based on hearsay alone. In conclusion, hearsay has to be corroborated by non-hearsay evidence before a judge can find that a person violated his or her probation.

Finally, if you have been accused of violating felony or misdemeanor probation in South Florida, contact Ron Chapman today. He has the experience needed to provide the legal advice and representation you need.

Defense Attorney Palm Beach Gardens

Ron Chapman practices criminal defense in both State and Federal Courts within the State of Florida. Since 1990, Mr. Chapman has been representing people accused of committing various types of crimes. If you are facing criminal charges in Florida, Ronald Chapman can help.

Schedule your FREE Consultation! Call (561) 832-4348 or visit his website.

Visit us at You can also connect with the West Palm Beach Criminal Defense Office online today! Ron Chapman, an experienced criminal defense lawyer, dedicated to defending your rights. Contact him today to begin to discuss your case.


Ronald S. Chapman, P.A.
400 Clematis Street, Suite 206
West Palm Beach, FL 33401


© Copyright 2018. All Rights Reserved.



Share This Blog


Call Now: (561) 832-4348

* Required Fields
Your Information Is Safe With Us

We respect your privacy. The information you provide will be used to answer your questions or to schedule an appointment if requested.

Follow Us On

400 Clematis St. Suite 206, West Palm Beach, FL 33401
Questions or Schedule An Appointment? Click to Call (561) 832-4348
Leave Us a Review
Read Our Reviews
© Copyrights 2022. Florida Criminal Lawyer. All Rights Reserved.
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram