Are You Being Falsely Accused of Domestic Violence Because Your Spouse Wants to Remain in the United States?


           It sometimes happens that a person who is not a citizen of the United States falsely accuses her husband or boyfriend of committing an act of domestic violence against her so that she can remain legally in the U.S.  She does that by filing for what is called a U Visa.


          A U Visa gives a victim of domestic violence temporary legal status and allows her to work in the U.S. for up to four years.  Anyone applying for a U Visa must state in her petition how she can assist law enforcement officers in investigating and prosecuting the alleged abuser.  The person applying for a U Visa must also state that she is, in fact, willing to assist law enforcement.


          Although obtaining a U Visa is certainly a great benefit to genuine victims of domestic violence, it can also provide an incentive to lie.  For example, say that a woman's temporary legal status is about to expire, but she does not want to leave the U.S.  If she knows about the U Visa, she may decide to falsely accuse her husband or boyfriend of committing an act (or acts) of domestic violence against her so that she can remain in the United States for another four years.


          If you are being falsely accused of committing domestic violence and your spouse is not a U.S. citizen, the U Visa may explain why you are being falsely accused.


       If you have been arrested for domestic violence in West Palm Beach, Palm Beach, Belle Glade, Boynton Beach, Delray Beach, Jupiter, Lake Park, Lake Worth, Lantana, North Palm Beach, Palm Beach Gardens, Palm Springs, Riviera Beach, Royal Palm Beach, or Wellington, call me, attorney Ron Chapman, at 561-832-4348 to discuss your case and see how I might be able to help you.



Share This Blog


Call Now: (561) 832-4348

* Required Fields
Your Information Is Safe With Us

We respect your privacy. The information you provide will be used to answer your questions or to schedule an appointment if requested.

Follow Us On

400 Clematis St. Suite 206, West Palm Beach, FL 33401
Questions or Schedule An Appointment? Click to Call (561) 832-4348
Leave Us a Review
Read Our Reviews
© Copyrights 2022. Florida Criminal Lawyer. All Rights Reserved.
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram